Writers Victoria Online Workshop: Navigating Narrative Time, Dual Timelines and Time Jumps
I’m looking forward to sharing what I know with writers in this workshop for Writers Victoria on November 14.
It can be creative and fun to play around with timelines in a novel.
But what are the challenges of playing with time or using more than one timeline in a novel? How does a writer balance overall narrative tension with tension in each time-line? How does a writer keep track of when events happen in a novel? I’ve written both dual time-line and historical fiction and will guide you through the process of keeping track of time and how to jump back and forth in it.
This six-hour workshop will take place online. Detailed instructions for participation will be provided.
You will learn to:
- Manage a narrative time-line in a novel
- Use the principle of “show, don’t tell” to differentiate your timelines
- Use real events in history to create a framework for a novel
- Use dramatic licence to enhance a plot
- Manage multiple time-lines and balance the ebb and flow of narrative tension